Find answers or ask questions regarding LSDalton calculations
tlovell
First name(s): Terri
Middle name(s): Christine
Last name(s): Lovell
Affiliation: University of Oregon

Reading TPA Output Files

Post by tlovell » 03 Dec 2018, 18:15

I recently switched from Dalton to LSDalton because the molecule I was looking at was too big. I ran a very simple TPA calculation on LSDalton, but I'm having trouble reading the output file. I'm interested in the two-photon cross section and the permanent dipole moment change between the ground and excited states. I can't determine if these values are in the output file for the TPA I did or if I have to add extra keywords to get these answers. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Attachments
m6cppDFT_m6cpp.out
(96 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

simensr
First name(s): Simen
Middle name(s): Sommerfelt
Last name(s): Reine
Affiliation: University of Oslo

Re: Reading TPA Output Files

Post by simensr » 05 Dec 2018, 16:29

Dear Terri,

The two-photon cross-sections for linear and polarized light are printed in the output under the line:

``` State No. Exc. Energy Linear pol. Circ. pol.```

Only the transition dipolmoments and Oscillator strengths are printed for the excitations. Permanent dipole moments for excited states can be calculated using the `*DIPOLEMOMENTMATRIX` flag, please take look at the manual for usage.

For large systems you might want to consider using damped response theory, see section `4.8.6 *DAMPED TPA` in the manual for usage and a reference.

Hope this is of help

tlovell
First name(s): Terri
Middle name(s): Christine
Last name(s): Lovell
Affiliation: University of Oregon

Re: Reading TPA Output Files

Post by tlovell » 05 Dec 2018, 19:34

Thank you for your response! I thought that's where the cross sections were. My trouble now arises from the units. I'm assuming the energy is in a.u., which I can convert to ev or nm and it matches well with my other calculations and literature reports. However, if the cross section units are in a.u and I use the conversion factor where 1 a.u. = 1.896788 x 10^(-50) cm^4s/photon the value is much too large at ~8000 GM when it should be ~400 GM. Am I messing up the units and that's why the values are off? Or could the discrepancy be due to the fact that I didn't use solvent in the calculation, I didn't use the damped response theory and/or there's something else wrong with the input file. Attached is the LSDalton output file of the molecule that I've also analyzed with Dalton and has literature reports, which don't match.
Attachments
jcm874.out
(106.22 KiB) Downloaded 4 times