Problems with Dalton installation? Find answers or ask for help here
hjaaj
First name(s): Hans Jørgen
Middle name(s): Aagaard
Last name(s): Jensen
Affiliation: Universith of Southern Denmark

Re: Legacy Mac Installation Problem

Post by hjaaj » 17 Sep 2016, 15:49

Well Pete - I can only say that I have always been very satisfied with MacPorts, so your troubles are not universal ...

taylor
First name(s): Peter
Middle name(s): Robert
Last name(s): Taylor
Affiliation: Tianjin University

Re: Legacy Mac Installation Problem

Post by taylor » 17 Sep 2016, 16:49

No, to be fair to Macports: first, I am talking about the situation in 2011-2012. Second, and probably more important, as I said I installed this, and that, and the other, and more this, and more that, and more the other, and ended up with a "system" that was perhaps more complicated than anything (without faulting Macports!) was capable of dealing with! That's when I got the "I can't update A without updating B" and "I can't update B without updating A" situation --- as I characterized, a "deadly embrace", in old-school system scheduling terminology. So as I admitted (or hope I admitted!) my problems might well have been of my own making. But I have never had such problems with Homebrew. And these days, with chipsets that support virtualization at the hardware level, well, why do anything but just install a VM manager, and then when you want to use <whatever-it-is> just pop up a VM? I do this to make sure I know what I, or somebody else, might be doing when questions arise. It lets me run Linux variants like Debian, which I don't like; Ubuntu, which I hate, the latest Fedora(s), which I usually don't like either, Centos N+1 (and I'm not happy with the current N+1...), etc. But with this mechanism, I know whether something is working or not, and I also know under which circumstances it doesn't work!

If someone reading this is using a machine (and this is true of almost all Intel and AMD chipsets from the last ten years, for example...) that is capable of virtualization, my suggestion is to learn how to use it and to use it to verify that certain things work (or don't...) first. I am not claiming this is how to run any program, least of all Dalton. But if someone can't at least build it, and successfully run the test suite, no matter how crap the performance, under (say) Centos 6 in a VM, they have bigger problems with their build/run strategy than Dalton itself. That of course doesn't mean we users/developers can't try to help! But it does mean there are almost certainly bigger problems...

Best regards
Pete