Problem with int64

Problems with Dalton installation? Find answers or ask for help here
Rusakur
First name(s): Yurij
Last name(s): Rusakov
Affiliation: Irkutsk Institute of Chemistry

Problem with int64

Post by Rusakur » 16 Dec 2013, 02:15

There is some problem during compilation in parallel mod with option --int64 and gcc4.5-gcc4.7. Kirk Peterson has already written about this problem:

[ 9%] Building C object CMakeFiles/dalton.dir/DALTON/dft/general.c.o
/home/kipeters/Dalton2013/DALTON/dft/general.c:626:1: error: conflicting types for 'mpi_sync_data'
In file included from /home/kipeters/Dalton2013/DALTON/dft/general.c:60:0:
/home/kipeters/Dalton2013/DALTON/dft/general.h:216:6: note: previous declaration of 'mpi_sync_data' was here
/home/kipeters/Dalton2013/DALTON/dft/general.c: In function 'dft_wake_slaves':
/home/kipeters/Dalton2013/DALTON/dft/general.c:646:5: warning: passing argument 2 of 'MPI_Comm_rank' from incompatible pointer type [enabled by default]....

It occurs only with option --int64 and gcc in conjugation with openmpi 1.4.4-1.6.5. With Intel compilers 12.5-14.0 compilation is well, but parallel executable not passes any tests. Serial compilation with option --int64 not involves blocks with 'MPI_Comm_rank' and works properly with any compilers. How this problem can be solved in code?

kipeters
First name(s): Kirk
Last name(s): Peterson
Affiliation: Washington State University

Re: Problem with int64

Post by kipeters » 16 Dec 2013, 05:58

All:

Sorry I didn't mention the --int64 option I used before, but I can now also confirm that even with gfortran and gcc (for both openmpi and Dalton2013), a 64-bit integer build fails with the previously noted error message. Note that the 64-bit build of openmpi was done according to the instructions given on the Dirac wiki page (both for ifort and gfortran). I've also tried a parallel ifort (v14.0.0) with gcc using a 32-bit build and while it compiles and links, several test jobs fail. A parallel 32-bit integer build using gfortran and gcc (4.7.2) seems to work fine.

best regards,

-Kirk

bast
First name(s): Radovan
Last name(s): Bast
Affiliation: none

Re: Problem with int64

Post by bast » 16 Dec 2013, 10:38

hi Yurij and Kirk,
I think that Dalton is not as thoroughly tested for 64bit integers with MPI as it is for 32bit integers with MPI.
personally I would avoid the default 64bit integers unless you have a very good motivation for it (like a calculation
that is impossible to run with 32bit integers). Also the mixed compiler configurations are not thoroughly tested
so there can be some rough edges for these situations.
radovan