Problems in DIIS Convergence

Find answers or ask questions regarding Dalton calculations.
Please upload an output file showing the problem, if applicable.
(It is not necessary to upload input files, they can be found in the output file.)

edulsa
First name(s): Eduardo
Middle name(s): Lemos de
Last name(s): Sa
Affiliation: Dep. Quimica, Universidade Federal do Parana

Problems in DIIS Convergence

Post by edulsa » 06 Nov 2018, 16:56

Dear

I am trying to calculate the optical rotation of an organic compound (C, H, O and Br) starting from x-ray crystallographic data (output is attached). Firstly, I didn't get SCF convergence using default cycles number. To work around this, I rose step number until 1024 (I know, it is a very high value and normally, this wouldn't be needed). But, my problem now is that the calculation is stopped due, I guess, a full storage in scratch partition. In the beginning, there were 325 GB available but file AOTWINT is a 324 GB long. A previous calculation with a molecule of the same size (but without BR) ran smoothly.
Please, I will appreciate any hints to solve this: they can be about how to get the best convergence faster or how to store integrals in RAM memory (I have 16 GB) instead of store them in a hard disk.

Thank you in advance

Yours

Eduardo

Dep. Química da Universidade Federal do Paraná - Curitiba - Brazil
Attachments
content.log
(1.28 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
cort-opt.dalton.log
(4.24 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
cort-opt.out
(34.49 KiB) Downloaded 4 times

magnus
First name(s): Jógvan Magnus
Middle name(s): Haugaard
Last name(s): Olsen
Affiliation: Hylleraas Centre, UiT The Arctic University of Norway

Re: Problems in DIIS Convergence

Post by magnus » 06 Nov 2018, 21:24

You need to run a direct calculation so that two-electron integrals are recomputed when needed and not stored on disk. To do this, add a .DIRECT keyword under the **DALTON INPUT section.

I also note that you have a **SCF INPUT but this section should be added under **WAVE FUNCTION and as *SCF INPUT and not **SCF INPUT. Also I don't think you need such a tight threshold in the SCF, especially considering that you're using a slightly higher than default threshold in the **PROPERTIES part.