Manual says .DFTTHR takes 2 values, but needs 3

Find answers or ask questions regarding Dalton calculations.
Please upload an output file showing the problem, if applicable.
(It is not necessary to upload input files, they can be found in the output file.)

aba
First name(s): Vera
Last name(s): von Burg
Affiliation: ETH Zurich

Manual says .DFTTHR takes 2 values, but needs 3

Post by aba » 05 Nov 2020, 10:56

Hi,
The Dalton 2020.0 Manual states that the keyword .DFTTHRin the *DFT INPUT section takes two numbers:
The first number determines the density threshold (contributions to a property from places where the density is below the threshold will be skipped) and the second one – orbital threshold (orbitals are assumed to be exactly 0 if they are below the threshold). The default value for DFTHR0 is 1.0D−9 and for DFTRHI is 1.0D−13
However, when performing a calculation with these two values set to 0.0, the program crashes (see output
pbe_water_monA.out
(19.11 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
). The screen output contains the message
Fortran runtime error: Bad real number in item 3 of list input
Suggesting that it looks for a third input value. Furthermore when looking at the tests, the file $DALTON_SOURCE/dft/test/linear-high.sh (where $DALTON_SOURCE denotes the source code directory) contains the lines
.DFTTHRESHOLD
0 0 0
again suggesting that it requires three values. With all three values set to 0.0, the program runs successfully. Have I misunderstood the description in the manual or does it indeed require three values? If so, what does the third value denote?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

hjaaj
First name(s): Hans Jørgen
Middle name(s): Aagaard
Last name(s): Jensen
Affiliation: Universith of Southern Denmark

Re: Manual says .DFTTHR takes 2 values, but needs 3

Post by hjaaj » 21 Nov 2020, 08:59

I confirm this error. The third threshold is not used any more in Dalton. I will correct it in the Dalton master branch on gitlab.