Too many chains - PT1SOR

Find answers or ask questions regarding Dalton calculations.
Please upload an output file showing the problem, if applicable.
(It is not necessary to upload input files, they can be found in the output file.)

sonco
First name(s): Sonia
Last name(s): Coriani
Affiliation: DTU Chemistry

Too many chains - PT1SOR

Post by sonco » 12 Apr 2016, 17:40

Hello,
I was running a rotational g of SO with MCSCF and a relatively small CAS and the aug-cc-pCV5Z basis set.
The calculation dies with this error:

Too many chains - PT1SOR
forrtl: severe (71): integer divide by zero

Does anyone know what this is about? (I have run all basis aug-cc-pVXZ and aug-cc-pCVXZ, X=T,Q without any problem)
I admit I am not familiar with the part of the code that produces the error message, so I am sure what's going on...

Thanks
Sonia

taylor
First name(s): Peter
Middle name(s): Robert
Last name(s): Taylor
Affiliation: Tianjin University

Re: Too many chains - PT1SOR

Post by taylor » 12 Apr 2016, 18:57

MAXCHN is being exceeded (the forrtl error just results from the QUIT routine --- it's the MAXCHN error message that's meaningful). This relates to determining the number of chains and the size of the buffers for the "backchained" sort for transforming the 2nd-order reduced density matrix. I think you can try increasing MAXCHN (defined in ptrbuf.h which is not in the include directory but in the abacus directory itself --- I don't remember why but we must have had some reason at some point...) and rebuild the code.

Best regards
Pete
P.S. There is a routine that prints a lot of the sort parameters: it's in abaptr.F but presumably needs some fiddling with print levels. But in any event if e.g. cc-pCVQZ works with the default I think if you redefine to 400 (so twice the default) cc-pCV5Z ought to work then.