Excited to excited states dipole moments

Find answers or ask questions regarding Dalton calculations.
Please upload an output file showing the problem, if applicable.
(It is not necessary to upload input files, they can be found in the output file.)

jd140
First name(s): Jean-Christophe
Last name(s): Denis
Affiliation: Heriot-Watt University

Excited to excited states dipole moments

Post by jd140 » 26 Mar 2014, 14:36

Dear all,

I have been a number of quadratic response calculations with double residue, using DFT (B3LYP and CAM-B3LYP), in order to obtain the excitation energies and transition dipole moment for the calculation of excited-state absorption spectra.
I have compared the results provided by Dalton2013 with two other chemistry packages. It turns out that the excitation energies and ground-state to excited-state transition dipole moments are essentially the same between the three quantum chemistry packages; however, all the transition dipole moments between excited-state differ greatly between Dalton and the two other quantum chemistry packages (which provide basically the same results). Do you have any idea/suggestion why this is the case?

Thanks very much in advance,
JCD

lyzhao
First name(s): Youzhao
Last name(s): Lan
Affiliation: Institute of Physical Chemistry

Re: Excited to excited states dipole moments

Post by lyzhao » 26 Mar 2014, 15:19

You should tell us "what the other two quantum chemistry packages are".

Lan

jd140

Post by jd140 » 26 Mar 2014, 16:00

Indeed, I wanted to avoid giving names, but I realise it's difficult to help without knowing which packages I'm talking about. So that's:
- Firefly (ex- PC-GAMESS): http://classic.chem.msu.su/gran/gamess/index.html
- Gaussian09: http://www.gaussian.com/g_prod/g09.htm

Thanks,
JCD

taylor
First name(s): Peter
Middle name(s): Robert
Last name(s): Taylor
Affiliation: Tianjin University

Post by taylor » 27 Mar 2014, 01:44

So before trying to analyze this issue of comparing the results from the codes, can I ask if you are \emph{sure} that all three codes are setting about the calculation the same way? I ask because as far as I know Dalton is considerably more sophisticated than most codes in doing these high-level elaborate response-type calculations. It would be possible, for instance, for a code to use a response calculation to generate, in essence, a set of excited-state wave functions, and then to calculate transition dipole moments between those states by taking transition matrix elements of the dipole operator between those excited-state wave functions.

However, if I understand things correctly, it will not always be the case that the full response approach taken in Dalton will agree with such a "matrix element-based" approach. It will I think depend on the particular type of wave function and other issues, and I suspect this is only one way among many so-called "response" calculations may differ from the Dalton approach. So before anyone starts to chase this, I think it's essential to establish whether in principle Dalton and your other two codes are doing exactly the same calculation, or at least claim they are. I don't mean that they simply say "we can do transition moments between excited states". I mean that they are doing this using quadratic response the same way it is described in the various papers cited in the Dalton documentation. I think you may have to dig into the literature cited by the other programs a bit for this.

Best regards
Pete

taylor
First name(s): Peter
Middle name(s): Robert
Last name(s): Taylor
Affiliation: Tianjin University

Post by taylor » 27 Mar 2014, 09:41

P.S. You are aware that some excited-state properties are \emph{differences} from ground-state values, so they are relative, not absolute numbers? (It is in the documentation...!)

Best regards
Pete

jd140

Post by jd140 » 27 Mar 2014, 11:22

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply it gives me a direction of where to start looking to explain this discrepancy. I will keep you updated.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean in your P.S. though.
Best regards,
JCD

olav
First name(s): Olav
Last name(s): Vahtras

Post by olav » 27 Mar 2014, 13:44

He means that if you form a matrix of dipole transition moments the diagonal values are

<k|z|k> - <0|z|0>

i.e. the change in dipole moment of the excited state relative to the ground state.

Regards,
Olav

jd140

Post by jd140 » 27 Mar 2014, 14:11

Hi Olav,

Thanks for the clarification. Indeed, I was aware of this.
JCD