RSPCTL WARNING-MAXIMUM NUMBER OF MICROITERATIONS

Find answers or ask questions regarding Dalton calculations.
Please upload an output file showing the problem, if applicable.
(It is not necessary to upload input files, they can be found in the output file.)

ndhieu92
First name(s): Hieu
Middle name(s): Dinh
Last name(s): Nguyen
Affiliation: Kunsan Univ

RSPCTL WARNING-MAXIMUM NUMBER OF MICROITERATIONS

Post by ndhieu92 » 22 Oct 2019, 09:05

WIsh you have a good day everyone.

I am trying to calculate for the spin-orbit coupling constant, but I have got a problem. Eventhough the calculation finished without any error, but the result of SOC value between 2 times of calculation is different between each other. Firstly, I checked the input file (mol. and dal. file) and I am sure that it is correct. So I checked the output file and then I always see the warning is: RSPCTL WARNING-MAXIMUM NUMBER OF MICROITERATIONS, 60. So now I am trying to add into dal. file: .MAX MICRO ITERATIONS and increase it into 200. Will this fix my problem? I attached 2 output file and also the new dal.file with my thinking. Please let me know your idea.

Thank you so much
Attachments
SPINORBIT_rsplrso_AMFI_quadratic_autosymmetry_MAXMICROITERATIONS.dal
(441 Bytes) Downloaded 67 times
SPINORBIT_rsplrso_AMFI_quadratic_autosymmetry_SOC_BDELA.out
(404.05 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
SPINORBIT_rsplrso_AMFI_quadratic_autosymmetry_2_SOC_BDELA.out
(450.68 KiB) Downloaded 71 times

hjaaj
First name(s): Hans Jørgen
Middle name(s): Aagaard
Last name(s): Jensen
Affiliation: Universith of Southern Denmark

Re: RSPCTL WARNING-MAXIMUM NUMBER OF MICROITERATIONS

Post by hjaaj » 23 Oct 2019, 13:55

Your spin-orbit coupling constants are garbage, because your calculation is triplet unstable (complex eigenvalues in the calculation of lowest triplet excitation). The differences between the two calculations are caused by numerical noise because of the non-convergence.

Either your DFT iterations do not converge to the ground state (do you get same total energy if you try with another program?), or B3LYP is a bad model for this case.

By the way, your ".MAX IT" keyword has no effect because the ".MAX IT" in that place specify the max. number of geometry iterations in a geometry optimization. But it does not help to increase the correct max iterations for response, because the convergence is stuck because of the above mentioned problems.

ndhieu92

Post by ndhieu92 » 23 Oct 2019, 15:05

hjaaj wrote:
23 Oct 2019, 13:55
Your spin-orbit coupling constants are garbage, because your calculation is triplet unstable (complex eigenvalues in the calculation of lowest triplet excitation). The differences between the two calculations are caused by numerical noise because of the non-convergence.

Either your DFT iterations do not converge to the ground state (do you get same total energy if you try with another program?), or B3LYP is a bad model for this case.

By the way, your ".MAX IT" keyword has no effect because the ".MAX IT" in that place specify the max. number of geometry iterations in a geometry optimization. But it does not help to increase the correct max iterations for response, because the convergence is stuck because of the above mentioned problems.
Thank you Dr. Hans for your reply. I am sorry but may I ask you a question: Do you mean the SCF energy which was shown in the output file is total energy? And I am thinking to try with another program like molpro to confirm it. I will try to change to MCSCF to see how it works.

hjaaj
First name(s): Hans Jørgen
Middle name(s): Aagaard
Last name(s): Jensen
Affiliation: Universith of Southern Denmark

Post by hjaaj » 23 Oct 2019, 15:23

I mean this final energy:

Code: Select all

@    Final DFT energy:          -2824.469146640524  
and these final HOMO-LUMO energies:

E(LUMO) :    -0.13437205 au (symmetry 1)
  - E(HOMO) :    -0.14494639 au (symmetry 1)
  ------------------------------------------
    gap     :     0.01057434 au
Note that the HOMO and LUMO orbital energies are very close, so no wonder there is triplet instability.

ndhieu92

Post by ndhieu92 » 23 Oct 2019, 16:10

hjaaj wrote:
23 Oct 2019, 15:23
I mean this final energy:

@    Final DFT energy:          -2824.469146640524  
and these final HOMO-LUMO energies:

E(LUMO) :    -0.13437205 au (symmetry 1)
  - E(HOMO) :    -0.14494639 au (symmetry 1)
  ------------------------------------------
    gap     :     0.01057434 au
Note that the HOMO and LUMO orbital energies are very close, so no wonder there is triplet instability.
Maybe I will try to recalculate with gaussian 09 software with same basis set B3LYP/6-31G* in dal.file to confirm the DFT energy and HOMO-LUMO energies.
I will keep updating the result.
Thank you so much Dr. Hans